top of page

City Services

Stormwater Management

Stormwater Management

What happens when it rains?
Rainwater runs across parking lots, roofs, streets and driveways picking up pollutants along the way. This polluted runoff then collects in the City’s storm sewers. Most of this water then travels directly into the rivers and streams.

What are we required to do with the stormwater?
The City of Milton is a Federal EPA designated Small MS4 stormwater community. (MS4 stands for Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System.) This means that the City must actively manage stormwater to Federal EPA and West Virginia DEP standards. The City may be subject to significant penalties for failure to comply with the Federal requirements.

If you see a spill during business hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm please call 304-743-3032.

After hours or for large spills please call WVDEP spill hotline at 1-800-642-3074

What are the benefits of stormwater management?
By enacting stormwater management, the City will be in compliance with Federal and State mandated requirements. Stormwater management also improves the water quality in our local watershed and reduces flooding.

Isn’t this service paid for out of my sanitation fee?
No. Compliance with the new Federal standards will require considerable additional funding to establish a management program to educate the public, to establish controls for construction site runoff and post-construction stormwater management, to detect illicit discharge and elimination and perform good housekeeping practices for municipal operations. City Council has established a fair system to collect dedicated revenue for stormwater management. Monies raised from this fee must be used for stormwater work only. They cannot be used for any other purpose.


What is a fair way to fund the required stormwater management activities?
In accordance with West Virginia law 16-13-22; all properties discharging water into the Milton watershed are required to participate in the stormwater utility. The stormwater service fee is charged based upon the amount of stormwater that runs off the property and into our watershed.

The current rates are:
Residential- $4.00 per month
Non-residential- $1.25 per 1,000 square feet of impervious surface per month.


The Milton watershed
A watershed, sometimes referred to as a stormwater drainage basin, is an area that drains naturally into downhill streams and rivers. Milton’s watershed is very large and runs from Mill Creek to the north to Mud River to the south and Charley Creek to the east and Saunders Creek to the west.


For more information about the Milton watershed please call 304-743-3032.

bottom of page